The National Restaurant Association released its “What’s Hot in 2013″ forecast. The top 10 trends include:
- Locally sourced meats and seafood.
- Locally grown produce.
- Healthful kids’ meals.
- Environmental sustainability as a culinary theme.
- Children’s nutrition as a culinary theme.
- New cuts of meat.
- Hyper-local sourcing (e.g. restaurant gardens).
- Gluten-free cuisine.
- Sustainable seafood.
- Whole grain items in kids’ meals.
My personal favorite was #18 — House-made/artisan ice cream!
From Forum, March 13, p. 4.